Monday, January 26, 2009

Cruising to Salina Cruz





Today we wandered around Catemaco, the town that hosts Mexico's shaman and witch convention. An interesting little place on a river bank not far from the location where Mel Gibson's Apocolypto was filmed. This is a location of lush jungle and a biosphere reserve.

We later drove to the pacific coast. On our way we came upon a military check point which wanted to search our car. This is the first time we have been searched by the military in over 1700 km of driving in Mexico. All was good.

We have landed in Selina Cruz on the pacific for the night. This is a bustling port town with a couple of alright hotels and an enjoyable little restaurant called Mi Pueblito. We don't much care for the town (it's much like Tuxpan which we disliked also) but we lucked out with food and lodgings. We're only here to eat and sleep tonight, then it's on to the beach towns!

During rush hour we walked Chloe while looking for a place to eat. The busy intersections had no traffic lights at all, although some of them had a policeman directing traffic. Everyone just drove through the intersection or crossed the street where ever they could and whenever the chance arose. It was unlike anything I've seen - cars and people going every which way....for them it's normal, but for us, YIKES!

On one busy street, a small dog jumped up and bared its teeth at Chloe. We hurried past, and ten seconds later, I turned around and there were about twenty dogs trying to catch up to us! We quickly saw an opportunity to cross the busy street before the dogs could reach us. I was happy for the insane traffic then! (Mexican street dogs are very street-wise, and they were smart enough not to follow us onto the road.)

At Mi Pueblito we sat outside and had another incredibly delicious meal with cervezas. We've been careful to drink only bottled water, weary of uncooked, undercooked or any food that has been sitting too long in the sun, and so far we haven't had any tummy trouble. I have read that if you are travelling in Mexico, it's not a matter of 'if' but 'when' you will encounter bad food. At Mi Pueblito I thought I was ordering a vegetarian panzarotti (it was the first time I had seen the word 'Vegetarian' on any menu here!); turns out it was a Panini sandwich with uncooked veggies in it. It was soo good! I'm hoping that the fancy restaurant is a little more careful about food prep than the roadside vendors. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to leave town for the drive to the pacific tomorrow.

p.s. I am posting smaller pictures for convenience...just click on them to view them better. I wish I could edit or crop them first, but I can't.

Chloe's Note: The skinny fleabags keep eyeing me suspiciously everywhere I go. Today a whole gang of them followed me down the street. They looked like a skeleton parade, all ribs and teeth. Maybe it was the "Day of the Dead" fiesta. Anyway, I had to risk life and limb crossing a busy street just to elude the beggers.

6 comments:

  1. Ok, so I'm a little confused... I've been trying to follow your travels on a map - Catemaco is located close to the Gulf coast so I assumed you'd be travelling along the beach that-a-way. Now you're in Salina Cruz on the Pacific coast! I've read that the state of Oaxaca is known for its black pottery. I've seen some pictures on-line of beautiful black pottery urns once used to transport mescal from hillside farms into the communities for sale to consumers. Would LOVE to add one of these to my mexican pottery collection - hint, hint - although it says they held about 3 gallons each... hmmm, a little large I guess! Here's an interesting tidbit about the state of Oaxaca that I also read this morning... "San José del Pacífico is located high in the Sierra Madre del Sur, a 4-hour drive inland on Hwy 175. The town features pretty varnished wood buildings, spectacular scenery, a Día de San José (March 19) celebration, AND PSYCHEDELIC MUSHROOMS." Now wouldn't that make for a good story to tell your grand children (although I'd wait until they're teenagers) one day!!! Be careful, be happy, be free! Love Wendy, Jonathan and the girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ladies and Jon!
    Well I'm glad someone is keeping track of us! We were on the gulf coast until yesterday; we crossed the narrow part of the country to the Pacific coast in the afternoon. We'll spend some time exploring little fishing villages near Puerto Escondito, and then decide when (or if) to go further south to Guatemala. If we go to Guat we won't stay long, probably just stick to the more touristed area of Lake Atitlan, then pass through El Salvador and Honduras to Nicaragua.
    I've read about Oaxaca city, and we want to go there at some point. We haven't decided whether we'll do that as part of the Pacific route we're on now, or on the way back north (home), when we'll take inland highways toward and around Mexico City.
    That's about the extent of our timetable...I have to admit I love not having to worry about time - some days, I have to remind myself what day it is! I'm pretty happy on our 'walk-about', with the wind in my hair and flies in my teeth. Don't need no psychadelic mushrooms!
    Take care!
    Love,
    April and David

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Ladies and John. That sounds like something a cop would say lol.

    Isn’t it the best feeling in the world when you're on vacation and time isn't a constraint? I love that! total chill time. I miss that.

    That is so trippy to hear about those mongrels following you! Glad you were able to cross with Chloe without incident. That’s like something out of the twilight zone.

    I see what Wendy said about crossing over Ocean to ocean (gulf to pacific), I looked Catemaco up on Google maps and was wondering how long a drive it must have been crossing over like that.

    I guess if you do decide to cross the border to Guatemala you’ll just take the 200 south? Keep us posted.

    Happy travels,
    Tim and Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,it sounds as though you guys are having quite an adventure! If Pax were there maybe she'd have chloe's back,against the local doggy thugs,ha-ha.:)
    I like David's goatee, it looks really hot! Interesting travels, good food (finally veggie food too), and lots of cervezas, what more could you ask for? I wish you all the best. Have fun you guys, and take care of each other.
    Lots of love, Melanie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Auntie April/Uncle David/Chloe: Nonna and I went shopping today and picked up Superman DVD and a flash light so I can use when its dark.Are you having fun? We are. We went for a drive. Rianna i love yoou

    ReplyDelete