Sunday, January 25, 2009

Close Encounters of the Fur'd Kind











This morning we walked around the beautiful city of Xalapa, a place where it must be easy to stay thin, because there's so many long, steep hills. The hotel was the fanciest yet...like the Park Place Inn downtown Toronto! More than 200 rooms on a sprawling piece of land at the top of a hill. Cost was about 75.00 US as we left they started steam cleaning the rugs because we had a dog in the room, fancy place. The parks in the city were wonderful for walking around, and we had breakfast at the plaza: a cafe con leche with pastries (a far cry from my usual granola with yogurt; but I reckon we burned off the excess calories walking back to the hotel).
We were thoroughly enjoying the morning, when a large white chow walked up from behind Chloe and I at the table and a fight ensued. Chloe is fine, no skin was broken. The chow had a small cut on its head. The guy walking him simply pulled his dog away as we pulled Chloe, and walked off, like it was no big deal, it happens all the time. Not a word. It put a bit of a damper on the morning, but we still enjoyed the beautiful city.

We drove south east toward Catemaco, stopping for a late lunch of delicious fried fish, where a man was wandering up and down the highway carrying his harp (a real harp with strings, as tall as himself), serenading the patrons of each roadside restaurant with sweet sounds. And David mistook a slice of jalapeno for a sweet green pepper....too bad the camera wasn't handy, his face was a real hoot! Free entertainment and a cheap tasty lunch...what could be better?

We got stopped by the police for the first time today - I'm sure it was just a matter of time, since they have a reputation of extorting money from foreigners they pull over. Turns out he just wanted to check our permit, as there are a lot of fake ones out there. It didn't cost us any money, and we got directions to the next town.

We are now in a beautiful colonial hotel in Catemaco - the home of mexican witches and warlocks - we have already been offered a spell cleansing. We'll take some pictures of this place tomorrow to post.

Chloe's Note: Today someone tapped me on the shoulder, and as I turned around he swung at me. The big white furry thug was in my face, so I defended myself. I'm not hurt, but I've been spitting white fur out of my mouth all day.

5 comments:

  1. Hey guys! We're really enjoying the entertainment... well written and fun! I've gotta admit though, I'm green with envy. We've decided to forego our vacation in the sun this year and put the money away towards a more exotic and longer one in 2010 (our 25th anniversary) - we're thinking Thailand, Greece or Chile... but we may need to add Mexico to the shortlist now! Cherish every moment - the memories will be with you forever. Love and good vibes... Wendy and Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy and J!
    Great to hear from you guys! We've been writing on our old laptop, which I don't dare edit the pictures 'cause it may crash. Please say Hi to the girls for us!
    Thanks for the love and good vibes - we'll need it in this town!
    Love,
    April and David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about Chloe not being liked by the locals. Glad to hear that he is fine.At least he likes the cuisine. Sounds like it's a good thing that David can speak Spanish.Can't wait to see more. Have a good night and talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi: Poor Chloe she's having more misadventures than adventures. I am thinking you should definitely write a book on your travels when you get home. When will you be out of Mexico? Soon I hope. Glad your eating better. Still freezing here. I came home from Ians by TTC today around 5 and I don't think Ive ever been so cold. Jonas said Grumpa today. What a sweetie. Have a good day..talk to you soon. Luv, mom Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi April
    It sure looks like you three are having a wonderful trip although not totally smooth sailing. The pictures are great and I am enjoying the stories of your adventures. Be safe and I look forward to reading more. It is really cold here this week but sunny.
    Take care.
    Lorie Ann

    ReplyDelete